At 11am 450 runners started their 10K race through the friendly village of
Stoke St Gregory. A figure 8 course over undulating terrain took a pact of beginners and highly trained experienced athletes past an enthousiastic crowd. Especially in the picturesque village square which they will pass twice before returning for the finish and a refreshment (optional) in the pub.
It all started with a fun pram race between the two pubs in the village and has grown into a must run 10K race in the South West race calendar as a fundraiser for the playing field in the Village of Stoke St Gregory.
For many years the race was run between Christmas and New Years but in recent years the first Sunday after New Years Day has become the new date. The Stoke Stampede is seen as an ideal start of the running calendar. Both but beginners as well as by experienced and highly trained athletes. The undulating terrain with only the odd steep climb in the course is challenging enough to make the race interesting, yet achievable by the novice runner.
The village feel is important to the organisers of the race. Friendly marshalling is therefore guaranteed. The race organisation though is tight as the race is run under a UK Athletics licence. The professionalism is now showing in the attention to health and safety of runners as well as in online registration and chip timing.
* Registration via runbritain only (see below button)
* 450 running places available
* Runners minimum age 15 at time of race
* confirmation of race registration by email by Runbritain
* full pre race information supplied by email early January
* Collection of race numbers on 7th January 2018 between 9.30 and 10.40 at Williams Hall Stoke St Gregory
* Basic changing facilities and toilets at Williams Hall
* course marked with KM signs
* water station at 5km and finish
* medal for all finishers
* medals / prizes for category winners
* hot and warm refreshments and snacks available in the square
Get in touch:
Copyright Stoke Stampede 2017